Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Our Church History



      Having recognized the need for a house of worship in the East Lumberton community due to the establishment of the Lumberton Cotton Mill in the area during the late 1890s and the inconvenience resulting from the problem of transportation, Dr. Charles H. Durham and a group from First Baptist Church began an effort to build a chapel in the area. The initial effort was begun on September 24, 1901. Prior to that time, First Baptist Church has sponsored a mission in the community.

      On Sunday, February 17, 1907, a meeting was held to organize the East Lumberton Baptist Chapel into the East Lumberton Baptist Church. Rev. JM Fleming was called in 1907 as the first minister of the church. Membership was granted into the Robeson Baptist Association on October 29, 1907. Affiliation with the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina and the Southern Baptist Convention was also begun during the same year. Due to the increase in church membership, it was necessary for the building to be enlarged several times during Rev. Fleming's five-year pastorate.

      Many Pastors have served East Lumberton Baptist Church over the years and many buildings and renovations have been constructed. Over the years, the church purchased land, a parsonage, and organized VBS and Training Union. On March 14, 1962, a mission work was begun and eight members of the church formed the nucleus of the new work. The mission became the Hyde Park Baptist Church in September 1964. In July, 1977, the church called its first full-time Minister of Music and Education. The first church van was purchased in 1978. East Lumberton Baptist Church continues to strive to fulfill its purpose to glorify God through exalting Jesus Christ, evangelizing the lost, encouraging the child of God, and equipping the saints. The journey continues...